Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Estes V2 - Body Tube

 

Busy week this week, but here's a brief update on the Estes V2 build.

I decided to use the body tube that came with the Estes V2 after all. The minor stretching of one end won't be noticeable, and I'll use that end for the aft end of the airframe, where the tail cone gets glued in. The snugger end of the body tube will have the nose cone.

As I usually do, I filled the tube spiral with Elmer's Carpenters Wood Filler. This wide groove filled quite easily, and the tube is so short, it took no time.

Some people feel you're wasting your time if you fill in tube spirals. Not me - I enjoy the process and the results, and with a scale project like this one, I think there's a stronger argument in favor of doing it.

But it's a cosmetic thing - if you don't like it, you certainly don't have to bother. Rocketry has a lot of different things to offer as a hobby. You should do the things you like doing, and don't let others' opinions make you feel bad. I've seen plenty of the "that's not how I do it" types of comments in various forums, that I feel the need to make these points whenever I bring up tube spirals.

I would never call someone out for not filling spirals on their rockets (I've seen someone do that on a forum before). I'd also never tell someone they're wasting their time pursuing some part of the craft I'm not into (which I've also seen). It's your rocket - do as you please.

My method for filling spirals is HERE.

I post a lot of things on Instagram these days. Follow me here.


Like my Facebook page for blog updates and extra stuff.

Have a question you'd like to see addressed on this blog? Email me at iamtherocketn00b@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment