Monday, February 21, 2022

Helping Out a Fellow Rocketeer

 


A Facebook friend of mine posted some alarming news a couple of days ago.

Eugene Awimbo, a man in Kenya who I'm connected with because of his amateur rocketry project, has a son, Ochieng, with chronic tonsillitis. Things have gotten really bad with this latest infection, and they have been advised to remove his tonsils and adenoids no later than February 28.

Some of Eugene's Facebook friends encouraged him to look into crowdfunding, which he has done. The surgery costs $3000. Insurance would cover it, but Eugene has a gap in his insurance until March 9.

I don't know much about life in Kenya, but I must assume that $3000 is kind of a lot of money there. For those of us living in the United States, however, $3000 for a critical surgery is really cheap. It wouldn't take many of us donating a small amount to get this kid his operation. If my son Simon had a potentially life-threatening infection, I'd do whatever it took to get him help. If I couldn't get him the treatment he needed for want of a few thousand dollars, I'd be absolutely desperate.

Here's the link to the crowdfund and some additional details. Feel free to share with your friends, but also please consider giving a little bit of money.

I post a lot of things on Instagram these days. Follow me here.


Like my Facebook page for blog updates and extra stuff.

Have a question you'd like to see addressed on this blog? Email me at iamtherocketn00b@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. Totally missed this was happening. Is it too late to donate a little something? How do I do that at this late date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kirk.

      Funding has expired, as you saw from the link. But fortunately, they raised enough for Ochieng' to get his surgery, and he's doing much better. His parents were able to take out a loan to make up the difference.

      Thanks for your interest in helping.

      Delete