Monday, March 23, 2015

Donor's Rockets - Designed!

Back in October, I raised money for the Bloomington Playwrights Project, offering scratch built rockets as an incentive. This spring, I'll hold a launch for the donors, and they will keep the rockets I build for them.

The Donor's Rocket has been designed.

Now I just need to buy the parts and build the rockets.

I selected an odd size for this rocket. It uses a BT56 - an Estes tube size, just slightly larger in diameter than the BT55 (used in many kits, including the Cosmic Explorer). As far as I can tell, you don't see the BT56 much these days. Only a couple of websites I've found actually carry them, and one is out of stock.

But I like the idea of using a different sized tube, and I really like the nose cones that are available.

OK, back to sanding fins...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel,
    The BT-56 was actually a Centuri tube, the old ST-13.
    The BT-55 is 1.325" diameter, the ST-13 (BT-56) is 1.340" diameter.
    After Centuri moved operations to Penrose, Estes kept the Enerjet 1340 (Centuri) fin can and nose cone.
    You still find it on the Estes Eliminator model.
    The Estes Cosmic Explorer is based on the Centuri Centurion. The Centurion used an ST-16 (1.6" diameter) tube.

    ReplyDelete