Sunday, December 5, 2021

Build Thread - Estes V2

 


Why have I never built a V2? This fat model has always caught my eye, and I've been meaning to build one forever. I guess now's a good time to start.

Here are the parts.

I've had this kit on the pile for a few years, and the nose cone was stuffed pretty hard into the BT-80 body tube. I had to pull hard to get it out, and the end of the tube is stretched out just a little bit. It's hard to tell, but the fit on that end of the tube is loose, and looking at it very carefully, I can see that it's a little enlarged.

I might cut a new length of tube - I haven't decided yet. I hate to replace parts of a kit, but I do want a good fit. I can repurpose this tube as a payload section on a future scratch build.

Estes' customer service is excellent. They have been known to replace bad parts. They replaced an entire Pro Series kit for me once when all I asked was if it was possible to replace one bad fin. I opened my email to find out they had already shipped me a whole new rocket, which was a huge surprise.

But this kit is several years old - in fact, it's currently out of production. This probably didn't happen in the factory, and I really don't like asking for a replacement for minor damage - especially something I can just fix myself.

I might also just use it.

I post a lot of things on Instagram these days. Follow me here.


Like my Facebook page for blog updates and extra stuff.

Have a question you'd like to see addressed on this blog? Email me at iamtherocketn00b@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment