Saturday, December 18, 2021

Estes V2 - Prepping the Boat Tail

 

The boat tail for the Estes V2 is one solid plastic piece, which needs to have certain parts removed. The front and back ends are capped, and have to be opened up, and the long nubs down the sides are where the fin tabs go, after you turn those nubs into slots.

Instructions suggest using a hobby knife for these cuts. You certainly could do that, but it would take some patience. You'd want to use a brand new blade. Go slowly and don't press too hard.

It would be easy to get impatient and try to cut deeper. The problem with that is that your blade may slip, causing you to gouge the model. Worse, you might break the tip of the blade, sending a tiny bit of razor sharp steel flying. If that got in your eye... Maybe not a bad idea to wear goggles.

I tried it with a hobby knife at first, just to see how it would be. My blade went off course for a second, scoring a groove in the plastic where I hadn't meant to cut. And each time I tried going over that part again, my blade simply followed the newly cut channel.

I ditched the hobby knife.

I am pretty sure I saw a version of the instructions for this rocket which suggested a razor saw instead of the hobby knife. This turned out to be perfect - faster, less frustrating, and I think less likely to cause injury!

Whichever tool you use to cut plastic parts like this, the key is to go slowly, and let the tool do the work. With a hobby knife, that means using a new blade to start with, and doing pass after pass with the tip of the blade, allowing the cuts to get deeper and deeper. It may seem like you're not making progress at first, but before long, you'll be surprised that you break through.

With a razor saw, that means a quick, back and forth sawing motion without applying too much pressure. Once you start to cut through the plastic, you will be able to cut much faster.

The forward and aft caps came off, and the rough cuts were cleaned up with some 220 grit sandpaper.


The long fin slot nubs came off pretty easily.


I was then able to widen the slots and clean them up with a hobby knife. Once you're through, shaving off extra is pretty easy with a blade.

Using a hobby knife, an emory board, and some 150 grit sandpaper, I was able to widen the slots until the fins could be dry fitted into them, and sand down what was left of the nubs so that they don't keep the fins from going all the way in.

When I was done, I dry fit the fins into the slot.

That's pretty sharp, I thought. That actually looks like a V-2 missile!

I post a lot of things on Instagram these days. Follow me here.


Like my Facebook page for blog updates and extra stuff.

Have a question you'd like to see addressed on this blog? Email me at iamtherocketn00b@gmail.com.

1 comment: